Father Bartosz Barczyszyn

ust. appointed 2015


Father Marcin Bącela

ust. appointed 2017


Father Michał

ust. appointed 2021

Parish patrons

St. Francis of Assisi

Called the Poor Man of Assisi. He was born in 1181 in Assisi, died on October 3, 1226 in Portiuncula. St. Francis is the founder of the Franciscan Order, and indirectly also of the female branch of cloistered sisters associated with St. Clare, and of the secular branch: the tertiaries (Third Order). He was a missionary, mystic, and stigmatic.

St. Peter of Alcantara

Before joining the Franciscan Order: Juan de Garabito y Vilela de Sanabria. He was born in 1499 in Alcantara in Extremadura, Spain, died on October 18, 1562 in Arenas de San Pedro in Andalusia. He was an ascetic, mystic, and theologian, an important reformer of the Franciscans, and the confessor of St. Teresa of Avila.

Parish history

  • 1285

    The first mentions of the Franciscan monastery come from 1285. Bishop Herman von Cammin granted an indulgence for those visiting Franciscan monastery churches. It also included the monastery church in Namysłów. That same year it was reported that 8 out of 12 Convents of Friars Minor moved from the Polish to the Saxon religious province, including Namysłów. The construction of the temple was probably initiated at the end of the 13th or the beginning of the 14th century.

  • 1321

    In 1321 the monastery was already mentioned as the Convent of the Blessed Virgin Mary. During the first stage, a small church was built (the present-day chancel), and the nave was built later, in the 15th century.

  • 1420

    In 1420, a monastery was already built next to the existing church.

  • 1536

    After being taken over by Protestants (from 1536), the monastery was used as a hospital and warehouse. The temple gradually fell into ruin.

  • 1666

    After an inspection in 1666, it was determined that the so-called "Polish" church had a damaged ceiling and was generally in poor condition.

  • 1675

    Only in 1675, after many years of efforts by the Franciscans, thanks to the decision of Emperor Leopold I the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the monastery buildings returned to their previous owners, namely to the Reformed Brothers of the Czech Province. The monastery was named after St. Peter of Alcantara.

  • 1678

    Since 1678, the monastery has been inhabited by 12 brothers and, as Fr. Bernard Sannig described it in his chronicle: they live simple lives, maintain themselves by daily, uncertain begging.

  • 1716

    In 1716, after the church was renovated, it has been re-consecrated, and included 8 baroque altars.

  • 1810

    On November 10, 1810, the Franciscan order was dissolved. That way the state took over the buildings and goods belonging to the Franciscans. The state thus took over the buildings and goods belonging to the Franciscans. At the time of the dissolution, Fr.Christian was the guardian with 10 presbyters and 13 brothers.

  • 1812

    The last mass was probably held on May 2, 1812. Part of the furnishings was sold, and the remainder was given to the parish church. To this day, the church of St. Apostles Peter and Paul in Namysłów include altars of: St. Peter of Alcantara, St. Anthony, St. Francis, and the Holy Cross, as well as the Stations of the Cross taken from the Franciscan church. The altar of the Fourteen Helpers was moved to Bogacica near Kluczbork. The marble floor of the church was torn off in 1812 and handed over to the Evangelical church in 1814.

  • 1825

    In 1825 the city council bought the church building, and after renovation it was turned into amber warehouse.

  • 1980

    In 1980, the idea of reclaiming this ancient temple was born.

  • 1982

    As a result of undertaken actions, at the request of the Parish of St. Apostles Peter and Paul in Namysłów of August 18, 1982, the Ministry of Culture and Art handed over the historic post-Franciscan church for the parish's perpetual use on September 30 of that same year. Renovation works began from that moment.

  • 1988

    On November 11, 1988, on the 70th Anniversary of Regaining Independence, the church adapted to liturgy was solemnly consecrated by His Eminence, Father Cardinal Henryk Gulbinowicz, Metropolitan Archbishop of Wrocław.

  • 1992

    On June 27, 1992, Fr. Card. erected by the church a diocesan parish of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Peter of Alcantara. The invocation of these saints refers precisely to the temple’s Franciscan history.

  • 1992

    On December 29, 1992, the newly established parish received the ownership of the monastery buildings adjacent to the church, which have been converted into a parish office, parsonage, and vicar's office for priests.

Former parish parsons

  • Father Jacek Dziadkiewicz

    (2011 - 2014)

  • Father Marek Hula

    (1995 - 2011)

  • Father Henryk Świerniak

    (1992 - 1995)

Former vicars

  • Father Marek Gorbenko

    (2015 – 2021)

  • Father Michał Olszański

    (2016 – 2017)

  • Father Adam Kościk

    (2012 – 2015)

  • Father Jakub Łukowski

    (2011 – 2014)

  • Father Patryk Olejnik

    (2007 – 2012)

  • Father Marcin Tokarz

    (2010 – 2011)

  • Father Mateusz Ciesielski

    (2009 – 2010)

  • Father Grzegorza Kopij

    (2006 – 2007)

  • Father Rafał Kupczak

    (2004 – 2009)

  • Father Wojciech Kania

    (2004 – 2006)

  • Father Tomasz Zagała

    (2001 – 2004)

  • Father Władysław Terpiłowski

    (2001 – 2003)

  • Father Jacek Stala

    (1998 – 2001)

  • Father Aleksander Drożdż

    (1994 – 1996)

  • Father Piotr Walter

    (1993 – 1994)

  • Father Michał Kuś

    (1993 – 1994)

  • Father Bronisław Cichecki

    (1992 – 1992)

  • Father Janusz Bobowski

    (1997 – 2001)

  • Father Józef Więcławek

    (1994 – 1998)

The interior of the church